Reduce Water Usage and Increase Throughput with Haith Produce Handling Equipment

Fox Solutions is a proud partner and the exclusive U.S. distributor of Haith Group, a world leading manufacturer of vegetable handling systems for bulk handling, washing, and polishing.

Haith Group systems' innovative thinking and automation has provided resource reduction and cost savings for packers around the world. With efficient machines and a holistic team effort, Haith group provides our customers with the capacity to handle even more produce in the future at both a lower utility costs and diminished impact on the environment.

The company has achieved top mark success through the input of their experienced design team and sales engineers. Together, they have invested significantly in research and development to make Haith machines the most efficient and cost-effective on the market. The progress they have made in efficiency improvements allows the Haith Group to not only reduce operating costs, but increase throughput as well.

 

Everything on the new Haith lines is automated, from receiving and grading through to progress storage and packing. With Haith Full Lines, 90% of the water used to wash the produce is recycled. The remaining 10% has further treatment prior to discharge with the solids being incorporated into a dry cake that can be returned to land.

After being received and any stones removed, the product enters Haith’s Self-Cleaning Washer, which features the company’s unique Clean-In-Place (CIP) functionality. This feature allows operators to program when the washer is cleaned by a dosage system, which prevents bacteria from building up. Cleaning times can be set between shifts, for example, to minimize down time.

The self-cleaning washer discharges the wastewater onto a course screen, which removes any large particles, skin, haulm and foreign objects. The wastewater is pumped to a finer screen, which sits above a balance tank, where a mixer keeps solid matter in suspension.

The primary settlement process in the system starts by pumping the soil laden water through a serpentine flocculator. This promotes agglomeration of the solids before they report into the Haith Lamella settlement tank.

The now flocculated solids accumulate at the bottom of the settlement tank, where an automatic monitoring system starts a slurry removal pump at predetermined setpoints. The slurry is pumped from the Haith Lamella into a storage tank that is continuously mixed to keep the slurry in suspension. A pressure pump feeds the concentrated sludge to a multi-chamber filter press, this is where dewatering accrues and creates a dry soil cake, this can now be returned to land in a more manageable form.

All of the treated water from the lamella tank is returned to Haith’s washers. The 10% of water that cannot be recycled passes through a final biological treatment process before being discharged into the natural watercourse. Haith Group also aids in designing all the drainage and the recycled water pumping system to and from the factory.

By including all-electric drives and IE3 motors on the Rota-Tip TE box tippers, the Supa-Flume de-stoner and polishers, Haith Group can help reduce electricity usage. At the same time, thanks to how Haith’s team has developed and improved machine efficiencies, pack houses are able to increase throughput.

Interested in learning more about these and other equipment solutions? Shoot us an email at info@solutionsbyfox.com or give us a call at (956) 682-6176.

 

 

Topics: Equipment, Fresh Produce, Fox Solutions, Haith, potato equipment, sustainable, equipment automation, Polishers, Washers